Friday, July 19, 2013

100 Points To A Better Me

Years ago when I was just becoming a salesman I was given some advice on how to approach sales. In order to provide a little motivation or structure to ones day, you can play a game of 21 and assign point values to different tasks. For example, visiting a customer gets you three points, but calling them only earns you two. The theory was that once you reached twenty one points you had accomplished a pretty full day of work. Earlier today I was going over some strategies in order to better plan and structure my day and thought I could introduce a similar system to my entire day taking it a step further.

It turns out I can break down my day into four basic categories: Family, Work, Health and Life. Family and work are pretty obvious categories, the health category will involve mostly working out and diet and the so called life category might also be called personal growth or something along those lines. For the version 1.0 of what I am unofficially calling "100 Points To A Better Me" I have assigned the following values:

Family
3 points-extended quiet time/conversation with my wife
3 points-play time or project with the kids
2 points-sit down meal
2 points-read with the kids
 
Work    
4 points-cold call
3 points- in person sales call
2 points-telephone call
1 point- email or text
1 point- adding a new item
 
Health
1 point-20 push ups
1 point-20 squats
3 points-run
3 points lift
1 point-a fruit or vegetable
-1 point- a can of soda
-3 points-fast food 
2 points-floss
 
Life
3 points-setting a daily plan
3 points-blogging
2 points reading
2 points-house work
1 point-guitar practice
1 point-juggling practice
2 points-meditation/reflection/yoga 
 
Now if I can make it to 100 points everyday will that make me a better person? Not likely. Will having some sort of structure in my life help me? Absolutely. I am going to give this idea a full 30 days to see how well I can implement it. I will add a widget on the sidebar so that I can keep a running total of how I am doing everyday as well. I look forward to seeing what the results end up looking like, because at this point I have absolutely no idea!  Perhaps I will be able to uncover what some of my strengths and weaknesses are, and then make adjustments as my day and week progresses. This is going to be interesting... 
 
 
 
 

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment